Search This Blog and The Web

American Girl Doll Knitted Scarf With A Cable Stitch

There was a lady who requested a video that would show how to knit a cable stitch. As I am getting ready for my art exhibition, I did not have much time lately, but yesterday and today, finally, I took a day off to work on the promised project. I decided to make a scarf for an American Girl Doll with the cable motif. If anyone needs the pattern for "American Girl Doll Purple Scarf" in the .pdf file for your iPads, please send me a message (on the left below CATEGORIES - you need to scroll down). Please, make sure to include your e-mail (I cannot send it to you without your e-mail), and I will send it to you as soon as possible. Be assured that I do not share your e-mails with anyone and I do not spam.

Note that if you are learning the cable stitch, see the short video (below) of how to knit a cable stitch. Please note that I also made a change in the pattern - as the "seed stitch" for the beginning, edge and end of the scarf was not working out perfectly. I just replaced it with "garter stitch" today. (Images coming soon). However, the video below still has the "seed stitch".

Material:

  • 2 double pointed needles (3 if you do not have a cable needle) - I used size #6
  • 1 cable needle
  • yarn - any medium thick yarn - I used Caron Simply Soft


Abreviations:

CO – cast on
sl last st – slip last stitch onto your needle without knitting it
K – knit
P – Purl
BO – bind off

Step-by-Step Directions:

Row 1 CO 12 sts
Row 2-6 K11, sl last st

Row 7 K4, P4, K3, sl last st
Row 8 K11, sl last st
Row 9 K4, P4, K3, sl last st
Row 10 K11, sl last st
Row 11 K4, P4, K3, sl last st
Row 12 K4, sl 2 sts onto helping needle and keep in front of the knit, K2 next sts, K2 sts from helping needle, K3, sl last st
Row 13 K4, P4, K3, sl last st

Rows 14 through 23 will be repeated several times, until your scarf is as long as you want it.

Row 14 K11, sl last st
Row 15 K4, P4, K3, sl last st
Row 16 K11, sl last st
Row 17 K4, P4, K3, sl last st
Row 18 K11, sl last st
Row 19 K4, P4, K3, sl last st
Row 20 K11, sl last st
Row 21 K4, P4, K3, sl last st
Row 22 K4, sl 2 sts onto helping needle and keep in front of the knit, K2 next sts, K2 sts from helping needle, K3, sl last st
Row 23 K4, P4, K3, sl last st

Then knit your last cable section and end of the scarf this way: 

Row 1 K4, sl 2 sts onto helping needle and keep in front of the knit, K2 next sts, K2 sts from helping needle, K3, sl last st
Row 2 K4, P4, K3, sl last st
Row 3 K11, sl last st
Row 4 K4, P4, K3, sl last st
Row 5 K11, sl last st
Row 6 K4, P4, K3, sl last st

And finish with the edge: 

Row 7-10 K11, sl last st
Row 11 BO and clean up the ends/tails.