Search This Blog and The Web

Crocheted Hat for AGD Or Preemie Baby - Be My Valentine

Few days ago I was helping my friend with a crochet pattern she could not just get a grip on - and as I was trying to explain to her how to do a certain stitch (front post dc alternating with regular dc) I started an example for her... and since I started an example I decided to turn it into a hat that could be used for the American Girl Doll, or Madam Alexander or even a precious preemie baby.

However, you could make it into a bigger hat! How?

My hat's first row has ch3 + 12 dc; at the end of Row 3 I have ch3 + 38 dc. From then on, starting with 4th row, I worked with 39 sts (ch3 + 38 + 1 extra dc) and that gave me a circumference of  about 11".

If you would make in the first row ch3 + 13 dc and you'd do the repeats as described below, you would end up at the end of 4th row with ch3 + 42 + 1 dc = 43 dc (or sts) + ch3. These 3 extra sts will give you circumference of about 12".
If you would make ch3 + 14 dc in first row and you do the same repeats, you wwould end up at the end of 4th row with ch3 + 44 + 1 dc = 45 dc (or sts) + ch3. These 6 extra sts (from original below) will give you circumference of about 12.75".  So each 1 extra  st in first row will generate 3 sts by the time you reach 4th row, and it should add 0.75" to the circumference.

So, for example if you want to make this hat with 16" circumference and my original pattern written below is for 11", you need to add 5". So let's do some math of how many stitches you would need to add to the first row of my original pattern written below:

5" : 0.75" = 6.666
(Note: remember? 1 stitch in first row = to 3 sts extra in 4th row = 0.75")

The answer tells me that I would need 6.666 stitches (or rather 6 or 7 stitches) to add to my 12 dc in first row. Therefore I would have to start with 12+6=18 sts OR 12+7=19 sts (depending if I'd want it smaller 16" or bigger 16"). And if I do all the same repeats (plus few more of course) all the way to 4th row, at the 4th row I would have ch3 + 54 +1 dc  OR ch3 + 57 +1 dc. And then I would just follow with pattern to the desired height, where you would need to add 1 or more rows either in dc or sc stitches.

Enjoy and make someone happy on Valentine's Day. It will be here soon :-)


Abbreviations:

ch - chain
sc - single crochet
dc - double crochet
st(s) - stitch(s)
fpdc - front post double crochet
MC - main color
CC - complimentary color


Material:
Yarn - Lion Brand "Pound Of Love", worsted #4, color "Antique White" (MC), several yards; Loops & Threads "Snuggly Wuggly", light #3, color "Cotton Candy" (CC), few yards
Hook - G/4.0mm
Scissors

Gouge:
measured over double crochet sts
2"x2" = 7.5 sts x 5 rows


HAT

Size:
Circumference - 11" (13.5")
Height - 4.75" (5.5")

Foundation:
MC Yarn
magic circle OR ch3, join

Rnd 1          ch3, 12 dc, join
Rnd 2          ch3, 2 dc into each st, join (total ch3 + 24 sts)
Rnd 3          ch 3, *[2 dc into first st, 1 dc into next st]* - repeat from * to * total 12x, finish with 2 dc into next st - right before the ch3 at the beginning, join (total ch3 + 38 sts)
Rnd 4         ch3, *[fpdc into first dc from prev row, 1 dc (regular) into next st]* - repeat from * to * total 19x, finish with fpdc around the last dc before ch3 (which means you will make regular dc into that stitch and then one more dc as fpdc;  join (total ch3 + 39 sts)
Rnd 5          ch3, *[1dc (regular) into first st, fpdc into next st]* - repeat from * to * total 19x, finish with 1 dc (regular) around the last st, join (total ch3 + 39 sts)
Rnd 6         ch3, *[fpdc into first dc from prev row, 1 dc (regular) into next st]* - repeat from * to * total 19x, finish with fpdc around the last st, join (total ch3 + 39 sts)

CC Yarn
Rnd 7          ch3, *[1dc (regular) into first st, fpdc into next st]* - repeat from * to * total 19x, finish with 1 dc (regular) around the last st, join (total ch3 + 39 sts)

MC Yarn
Rnd 8         ch3, *[fpdc into first dc from prev row, 1 dc (regular) into next st]* - repeat from * to * total 19x, finish with fpdc around the last st, join (total ch3 + 37 sts)

CC Yarn
Rnd 9          ch3, *[1dc (regular) into first st, fpdc into next st]* - repeat from * to * total 19x, finish with 1 dc (regular) around the last st, join (total ch3 + 37 sts)

MC Yarn
Rnd 10          ch1, 1 sc through the back loop into each of next 39 sts, join

CC Yarn
Rnd 11          ch1, 1 sc through the back loop into each of next 39 sts, join

MC Yarn
Rnd 12          ch1, 1 sc through the back loop into each of next 39 sts, join


HEART

CC Yarn
Magic circle, crochet sl st around it, ch1, 1 hdc, 3 dc, 2 hdc, 1 dc, ch1, 1 tr, ch1, 1 dc, 2 hdc, 3 dc, 1 hdc, sl st, fasten off leaving about 5" long end/tail.

Pull on the end/tail from magic circle to tighten your (circular) opening. Make a knot with both ends. Form a heart and sew it to the hat.


***

DID YOU FIND ERRORS? Let me know on what page of my blog, and in which row by clicking HERE, and I will fix it as soon as I get to it. You can PM me on my FB Page HERE as well. Txs!
Also if you haven't subscribed to my HandmadeRukodelky Channel, you can do it HERE. There are many videos to be seen, too.

*******************************************************************************


Copyright page - click HERE



PLEASE, COMMENT ON YOUTUBE BELOW MY VIDEOS, AND/OR SHARE YOUR IMAGES OF YOUR RECREATED WORKS ON MY FB PAGE HERE :-)




Note: Most of the time I work as fast as I can to keep up with knitting and crocheting requests. I have to videotape, edit videos, then convert them & upload them to my channel. After that often I post on my blog patterns. I answer many questions, which means that often I work up to 16 hours a day. I would tremendously appreciate IF anyone of you who finds an error in the written pattern, so please, let me know - where (what rows) and what may be the problem. Many future knitters & crocheters from our artsy and crafty virtual world will thank you for your good deed, including myself.