Search This Blog and The Web

Crocheted Box Stitch Pattern

Box Stitch pattern   
As a knit and crochet teacher I have to solve "puzzles" for my students quite often. Please understand, that word "puzzles" may refer to helping others to read graphs, fix errors, or "translate" written pattern to a simple/understandable version. On Thursday, I was asked to solve one of those "not-completely-clear-patterns", when my very talented and very advanced student, Sarah (who by the way makes beautifully crocheted toys, blankets, etc.), brought in a print of crochet directions from "my picot" website - FYI, it was THIS ONE. I wanted to help her out, but due to several distractions, we had to abandon the idea of trying to decipher the written pattern right then and there. Other ladies needed my help and there was not enough time for me to do it. So I told her I'd figure it at home and show her how to do it at our next meeting.

But then, at home, I thought - I should make an educational video! Not just for Sarah, but for all my fab virtual artsy and crafty fans.

As I was reading the above mentioned written pattern (click on the link to see it) and looking at its chart, I realized that I would like to alter the pattern - simplify it. When I started to do repeats I realized, there will be no need for one of the rows. It only not eliminated the usage of some of the yarn, but also the crocheting got less time-consuming. Then according to a chart, I was supposed to turn my crocheted piece at the end of each row. But I changed that too - I just kept crocheting in the rounds, which meant to "rewrite" the pattern in my head (and now also on the virtual paper).

If you want to crochet my altered pattern, see my Step-by-Step Directions below. If you'd like to crochet the original box stitch pattern, click on the link mentioned above.

To crochet along with my educational video, RIGHTIES CLICK HERE, while LEFTIES SHOULD CLICK HERE

Huge "thank yous" to all my wonderful followers for sharing my projects.
Enjoy, and have fun knitting or crocheting :-)


On the left my original & on the right my student's WIP


Size:
Varies - depending on how many rows you will make

Materials (if you shop via affiliated links below you could help fund my future projects, TXS):
Michaels on line store, OR Hobby Lobby, OR Jo-Ann Fabrics, OR Walmart 

Scissors

Gauge:
4"x4" = 13 sc sts x 7 sc rows

Abbreviations:
ch - chain
dc - double crochet
sc - single crochet
bpsc - crochet sc through back post of dc from prev. row
cluster - into the same stitch crochet: *(4 dc, ch1, 4 dc)*
join - join with a slip stitch
prev. - previous
ch1-sp - one chain space
ch2-sp - two chain space
cl ch1 sp - cluster's chain 1 space (in the middle of the cluster)
"V" stitch - 1dc, ch2, 1dc (Note: "V" stitches will represent each side)

Box Stitch pattern - right side and wrong side

Step-by-Step

Set up:
Foundation - magic circle

Work with yarn color A
Rnd 1           ch3 (counts as dc), then 2 dc, ch2, *(3dc, ch2*) - 3x, join into 3rd ch of initial ch3

Rnd 2           ch1, then *(1sc into 1st dc from prev. row, ch1, 1sc into 3rd dc from prev row, ch2)* - 4x, join into sl. st

Rnd 3           ch1, *(1sc into ch1-sp from prev. row, cluster over both ch2-sp from Rnd 1 and Rnd 2 (= into space between 3 dc-s in the first row)* - 4x, join

Rnd 4           work 1 bpsc sts around each st from prev. row as such: *(1 bpsc around each of next 4 dc, ch1, 1 bpsc around each of next 4 dc, 1 bpsc around sc)* - 4x, join

Work with yarn color B
Rnd 5           in the same 1st st: *(ch3, 2dc, ch2, 1dc)*, ch3, skip 4 bpsc, 1 sc into cl-ch1-sp, ch3, then *(skip 4 bpsc, in next st work: "1dc, ch2, 3dc, ch2, 1dc", ch3, skip 4 bpsc, 1 sc into cl-ch1-sp, ch3)* - 3x; finish row with 1dc into 1st st, ch2; join (total 4 repeats)

Rnd 6           ch1, bpsc around middle dc of 3 from prev. row, work cluster into ch2-sp (1/2 of the corner), 1 sc into sc from prev. row; *(work cluster into ch2-sp, bpsc around middle dc of 3 from prev. row, work cluster into ch2-sp, 1 sc into sc from prev. row)* - 3x; finish with cluster into ch2-sp at the beginning of the row, join

Rnd 7           work 1 bpsc sts around each st from prev. row as such: ch1, *(1 bpsc around each of next 4 dc, ch11 bpsc around each of next 4 dc, 1bpsc around sc)* - 7x, 1 bpsc around each of next 4 dc, ch1, 1 bpsc around each of next 4 dc, join

Work with yarn color A
Rnd 8            in the same 1st st: *(ch3, 2dc, ch2, 1dc)*, ch3, skip 4 bpsc, 1 sc into cl-ch1-sp, ch3, then skip 4 bpsc and work "V" stitch into next st (between the clusters/corners),  ch3, skip 4 bpsc, 1 sc into cl-ch1-sp, ch3 *(skip 4 bpsc, in next st work: "1dc, ch2, 3dc, ch2, 1dc", ch3, skip 4 bpsc, 1 sc into cl-ch1-sp, ch3, "V" stitch into next st (between the clusters/corners, ch3, skip 4 bpsc, 1 sc into cl-ch1-sp, ch3)* - 3x; finish row with 1dc into 1st st, ch2; join (total 4 repeats)

Rnd 9           ch1, bpsc around middle dc of 3 from prev. row, work cluster into ch2-sp, 1 sc into sc from prev. row; work cluster into ch2-sp of "V" stitch, sc into sc; *(work cluster into ch2-sp, 1 bpsc around middle dc of 3 from prev. row, work cluster into ch2-sp, 1 sc into sc from prev. row, work cluster into ch2-sp of "V" stitch,  sc into sc from prev. row)* - 3x; finish with cluster into ch2-sp at the beginning of the row, join

Rnd 10           work 1 bpsc sts around each st from prev. row as such: *(1 bpsc around each of next 4 dc, ch1, 1 bpsc around each of next 4 dc, 1 bpsc around sc)* - 11x, finish with 1 bpsc around each of next 4 dc, ch1, 1 bpsc around each of next 4 dc, 1bpsc around sc, join

Continue working as many 3-row repeats as you wish in a similar manner as in Rnds 8-10, except keep in mind that in each first round of 3-round repeat you will have always one extra "V" stitch between corner clusters. The corners will always have 2 clusters, while "V" stitches will have only one cluster. These extra "V" stitches will make your item bigger and bigger.
Please see my video to crochet along and to see Rnds 11-13.

If you want to make a blanket then just keep adding the "V" stitches on the sides in each first row of a 3-row repeat. When you are finished, weave in all the ends.


***

DID YOU FIND ERRORS? Let me know on what page of my blog, and in which row by clicking HERE, and I will fix it as soon as I get to it. You can PM me on my FB Page HERE as well. Txs!
Also if you haven't subscribed to my HandmadeRukodelky Channel, you can do it HERE. There are many videos to be seen, too.

*******************************************************************************


Copyright page - click HERE



PLEASE, COMMENT ON YOUTUBE BELOW MY VIDEOS, AND/OR SHARE YOUR IMAGES OF YOUR RECREATED WORKS ON MY FB PAGE HERE :-)




Note: Most of the time I work as fast as I can to keep up with knitting and crocheting requests. I have to videotape, edit videos, then convert them & upload them to my channel. After that often I post on my blog patterns. I answer many questions, which means that often I work up to 16 hours a day. I would tremendously appreciate IF anyone of you who finds an error in the written pattern, so please, let me know - where (what rows) and what may be the problem. Many future knitters & crocheters from our artsy and crafty virtual world will thank you for your good deed, including myself.