Search This Blog and The Web

Granny Square No. 1 For Foggy Dawn Sweater

In my last post, I wrote about "Introduction To Crocheted Sweater 'Foggy Dawn'". There, I published links to videos where I am demonstrating how to join granny squares used for this project.

Today, I will introduce my first granny square for "Foggy Dawn" sweater. Please, take your time and read few pointers (I will talk about them in my videos as well), which I figured out later while I worked on my project, and which lead to my realization that I have to rework parts of my sweater or rejoin squares.
As I mentioned in my "Intro" post you need to attach each "granny" to another one as you go.

So here are tips that will make your work easier:

  • If you are a right-handed crocheter, you should start attaching rows from left to right, and then top down. If you are a left-handed crocheter then you should join squares right to left & from the top down. Start with the back first - from one end of your arm to the other. (Note: I started attaching squares haphazardly and it got more difficult to fit some of them later) 
  • If you are using several colors, make sure that your colors alternate in the best possible way. Plan each square color ahead of time - draw a diagram of your sweater and fill the colors into each square as you would like them on your finished project.
  • Try to alternate your different type of squares so they are also visually pleasing to the eye. Number your squares and write those numbers into each square of your diagram.
  • Leave weaving your tails (ends) as the last task, just in case you need to re-work your joining.
Have fun creating something beautiful. You can use these squares not just for a sweater, but also for blankies, vests, purses (for a purse you would need to sew in a liner), etc.


LINKS TO ALL VIDEOS REGARDING THIS PROJECT (INCLUDING THE INTRODUCTION):

BLOG POSTS WITH FREE PATTERNS REGARDING THIS PROJECT:

Note: To attach your granny squares as you go use all your ch2 spaces along one, two, three or even four sides as well as ch2 spaces in corners. Please be aware that in the video where I demonstrate how to crochet this square I crocheted ch3 in each corner of the last row, but changed the ch3 to ch2 in the written pattern below.

Size:
Granny Squares - approx. 6"
Sweater - build your size with as many squares as needed

Material:
Yarn - Loops & Threads; Snuggly Wuggly; 100% acrylic; weight light (sport) #3; 446 yards/408m; 5 oz/141g
Hook - F/5, 3.75mm
Yarn needle
Scissors

Abbreviations:
ch - chain
dc - double crochet
sc - single crochet
sl st - slip stitch
YO - yarn over
sp - space
dc sp - double crochet space
ch1sp - one chain space
ch2sp - two chain space
ch3sp - three chain space
ch4sp - fourth chain space
ch5sp - five chain space
ch6sp - six chain space
prev - previous
5-dc st - 5 double crochet stitch


**********************************

Granny Square No. 1 

Foundation: ch23

Row 1          make 1 dc into 4th ch from hook, 1 dc in next st; *[ch2, skip 1 ch sts, 1 sc in next st, ch2, skip 1 ch sts, 1 dc in next 3 ch sts]* - 3x

Row 2          ch3 (counts as dc), 1 dc in next 2 sts; *[ch3, 1 dc in each of 3 dc from prev row]* - 3x
Row 3          ch3, 1 dc in next 2 sts; *[ch2, 1 sc in ch3sp, ch2, 1 dc in  each of 3 dc from prev row]* - 3x

Repeat Rows 2 & 3  three more times (= Rows 4 through 9); turn as if you want to crochet Row 10

Edge:

Crochet in the round
Rnd 1

side 1
Note: count ch3's and dc's along the side as sp
turn your work to crochet along 1st side as such: ch4 (2+2), make 1 sc into your dc sp you crocheted in your last row (count space as either ch3 or dc), *[ch4, skip 1 sp and make 1 sc into next sp, ch2, then 1 sc into next sp]* - 2x,  ch4,  skip 1 sp, 1 sc in last dc sp, ch2, then in corner make: (1 sc, ch3, 1 sc);
side 2
continue crocheting along 2nd side as such: ch2, skip 1 st, 1 sc in 3rd dc of first 3dc-panel, *[ch4, skip 3 sts, 1 sc in 1st dc of next 3dc-panel, ch2, skip one st, 1sc in next st]* - 2x; ch4, skip 3 sts, 1 sc in 1st dc of the last 3dc-panel, ch2, then in the corner make: (1 sc, ch3, 1 sc);
side 3
continue crocheting along 3rd side as such: ch2, make 1 sc into your first dc sp (space as either ch3 or dc), *[ch4, skip 1 sp and make 1 sc into next sp, ch2, then 1 sc into next sp]* - 2x, ch4,  skip 1 sp, 1 sc in the last ch3sp, ch2, then in the corner make: (1 sc, ch3, 1 sc);
side 4
continue crocheting along 4th side as such: ch2, skip 1 st, 1 sc in 3rd dc of first 3dc-panel, *[ch4, skip 5 sts, 1 sc in 1st dc of next 3dc-panel, ch2, skip one st, 1sc in next st]* - 2x; ch4, skip 5 sts, 1 sc in 1st dc of the last 3dc-panel, ch2, then in the corner where you started make: (1 sc, ch3) and join into 2nd ch with sl st;

Rnd 2

side 1
continue crocheting in the round as such: sl st along ch2 sp into 1st ch4 sp, then in ch4sp make (ch3, 3 dc), continue with *[ch2, 4 dc in ch4sp]* - 2x, ch2, then in the corner in ch3sp make (3 dc, ch2, 3 dc);
sides 2, 3 and 4
continue crocheting on the next three sides as such: *[ch2, 4 dc in ch4sp]* - 3x, ch2, then in the corner in ch3sp make (3 dc, ch2, 3 dc); join the 4th side to 1st side as such: ch2, then sl st in 3rd ch of initial ch3

Note: In the video, while I videotaped my last row in SOME of these videos I worked my corner stitches as such: (3 dc, ch3, 3 dc). As I made more of these squares I changed the corner to (3 dc, ch2, 3 dc) - one less chain stitch in the corner. It is better for joining the squares. Thank you for understanding.

***

DID YOU FIND ERRORS? Let me know on what page of my blog, and in which row by clicking HERE, and I will fix it as soon as I get to it. You can PM me on my FB Page HERE as well. Txs!
Also if you haven't subscribed to my HandmadeRukodelky Channel, you can do it HERE. There are many videos to be seen, too.

*******************************************************************************


Copyright page - click HERE



PLEASE, COMMENT ON YOUTUBE BELOW MY VIDEOS, AND/OR SHARE YOUR IMAGES OF YOUR RECREATED WORKS ON MY FB PAGE HERE :-)






Note: Most of the time I work as fast as I can to keep up with knitting and crocheting requests. I have to videotape, edit videos, then convert them & upload them to my channel. After that often I post on my blog patterns. I answer many questions, which means that often I work up to 16 hours a day. I would tremendously appreciate IF anyone of you who finds an error in the written pattern, so please, let me know - where (what rows) and what may be the problem. Many future knitters & crocheters from our artsy and crafty virtual world will thank you for your good deed, including myself.