Search This Blog and The Web

Sunny Day Hat

In January, I knitted hats and socks for my neighbors' newborn twins from Cloudborn Fibers (see the image below). I used Rose Heather, Powder Blue, and Antique White colors. I am kind of sad because I didn't take a good picture of my hats, just a couple of snapshots at night. However, two months ago I decided to make a video, how to knit these hats. I used two balls of yarn (one green and one yellow), which I bought on sale about three years ago. As I am writing this post, I realized that Bernat's Cotton-ish yarn (which I used while recording my video) is discontinued. At home, I have a yarn very similar in weight/cotton/acrylic blend - Premier Yarns, Cotton Fair. If you wish to knit this hat you may have to substitute Bernat's yarn with Premier Yarns. I also found a website that may help you with other substitutions - CLICK ON THIS LINK.
I cast the pink and blue hats on 80 stitches because the yarn is slightly thinner than the yellow/green yarn. I cast my yellow/green hat on 70 sts. The decreases for the top and the number of rows were the same - the only difference was in how many stitches I pulled the yarn through. 

You can adjust this hat to any size just by calculating how many "10 stitch repeats" and how many "row repeats" you need. You would not have to change anything regarding decreases except how many times you need to repeat them, because decreases are the same in each repeat. However, in your last row, you would end up with more stitches that you'd have to pull yarn through. In my pink and blue hats, I had to pull yarn through 40 stitches (8 stitch repeats), in my yellow/green hat I pulled the yarn through 35 sts (7 stitch repeats).

This pattern uses slip-stitches. It is a very simple pattern, easy to do even for a novice knitter. You can either follow my Step-by-Step (row-by-row) pattern or you can click on any video (for righties or lefties) below. Or follow both - the written pattern and the video.

Videos:

Original Hat and Socks For Newborn Twins - HandMadeRukodelky ©2020


Size:
  • head circumference - 12" (unstretched), up to 15" (stretched)
  • hat height - 6.5"
  • ribbing height  - 2.25"
Gauge:
12 sts & 15 rows = 2” (stockinette)

Materials:
Any yarn similar to Bernat's Cotton-ish that is DK Weight (thicker than Sport weight, thinner than Worsted weight); cotton/acrylic blend; you will need two complementary colors (1 ball of Main Color, less than 1/2 ball Complimentary color)
Knitting Needle: I used US 5 (3.75 mm) needles
Yarn needle
Scissors 

Abbreviation:
DPN(s) - double-pointed needle(s)
CO - cast on
MC - main color
CC - complimentary color
K - knit
P - purl
sl 1st st - slip first stitch purl-wise
K2tog - Knit 2 stitches together
SSK - slip 1st stitch knit-wise, slip 2nd st knitwise, place them back on the initial needle, then knit both sts through the back loop
st(s) - stitch(es)


Step-by-Step Directions:
Pattern repeat - 10 sts, and 14 rows.
Start foundation with MC color on knitting needles #5 (3.75 mm) - cast on 70 stitches

PATTERN (knitted in the round):



RIBBING:

Row 1            (MC) *[K1, P1]* - to end of the row, then distribute the stitches among 3 DPNs (or use circular needles with a long cable and magic loop), without twisting your knitted row, connect stitches into a circle
Rnd 2-20       (MC) *[K1, P1]* - to end


PATTERN PART:

Let's start row count from 1

Rnd 1                (CC) K70
Rnd 2                (CC) P70
Rnd 3-7             *[sl 2 CC st pw; K8 MC]* - 7x
Rnd 8                (CC) K70
Rnd 9                (CC) P70
Rnd 10-14         *[K5 MC; sl 2 CC st pw; K3 MC]* - 7x

Repeat Rnds 1-14 one more time (total 28 rows)


DECREASING FOR THE TOP OF THE HAT:

Let's start row count from 1

Rnd 1                (CC) K70
Rnd 2                (CC) P70
Rnd 3                *[sl 2 CC st pw; MC- K1, K2tog, K2, SSK, K1]* - 7x
Rnd 4-6             *[sl 2 CC st pw; K6 MC]* - 7x
Rnd 7                *[sl 2 CC st pw; MC- K2tog, K2, SSK]* - 7x
Rnd 8                (CC) K70
Rnd 9                (CC) P70
Rnd 10-11         *[K3 MC; sl 2 CC st pw; K1 MC]* - 7x
Rnd 12              *[MC - K2tog, K1; sl 2 CC st pw; K1 MC]* - 7x
Rnd 13-14         *[K2 MC; sl 2 CC st pw; K1 MC]* - 7x
Rnd 15              (CC) K35
Rnd 16              (CC) P35


FINISHING:

With the use of hook pull yarn through all the stitches, make a knot. Then weave in all your loose ends (tails).


Copyright:
You may not sell my written pattern to anyone, and you may not publish it as your own.
However, you may sell a finished product (a hat) made by you. Don't forget to credit me.

Thank you.
***

DID YOU FIND ERRORS? Let me know on what page of my blog, and in which row by clicking HERE, and I will fix it as soon as I get to it. You can PM me on my FB Page HERE as well. Txs!
Also if you haven't subscribed to my HandmadeRukodelky Channel, you can do it HERE. There are many videos to be seen, too.

*******************************************************************************


Copyright page - click HERE



PLEASE, COMMENT ON YOUTUBE BELOW MY VIDEOS, AND/OR SHARE YOUR IMAGES OF YOUR RECREATED WORKS ON MY FB PAGE HERE :-)






Note: Most of the time I work as fast as I can to keep up with knitting and crocheting requests. I have to videotape, edit videos, then convert them & upload them to my channel. After that often I post on my blog patterns. I answer many questions, which means that often I work up to 16 hours a day. I would tremendously appreciate IF anyone of you who finds an error in the written pattern, so please, let me know - where (what rows) and what may be the problem. Many future knitters & crocheters from our artsy and crafty virtual world will thank you for your good deed, including myself.