Search This Blog and The Web

Crocheted Elastic For Hair - Free Pattern And Video

I had a couple of hours on my hand and an idea popped into my head: "Let's crochet around a hair elastic, to make it prettier." You need just a little bit of yarn (leftovers form some project may be sufficient), a hook and an elastic (light colored one for a light colored yarn, dark one for a dark yarn).
Btw, it can make a cute little gift. Or if you have a daughter with friends whom have long hair, it could make great party favors while celebrating your girl's birthday.

So here we go.

Abbreviations:
ch - chain
st(s) - stitch(es)
sc - single crochet
hdc - half double crochet
dc - double crochet

Material:
yarn, hook, elastic, scissors

Step-by-Step Directions:

  1. Make a knot stitch and place it "inside" the elastic. Make a chain around it, then make one more chain. Crochet 36 single stitches around the elastic. Join into the circle.
  2. ch3, skip 2 sts from previous, 1 sc into third st, *[ch2, skip 2 sts from previous, 1 sc into third st]* repeat from * to * 11 more times (total 12 sets of ch2 "bands").
    Note: instead of last sc, join the circle with the slip st.
  3. Crochet into each ch2 "band" this way: *[1 sc, 1 hdc, 2 dc, 1 hdc, 1 sc, finish with ch5 - which will create a decorative loop between the "petals"]* - repeat from * to * 11 more times. Join last ch5 at the base of first sc in the third row.
Weave in your ends. 

I also recorded a video, which can be found HERE

Unfortunately my camera fell out of my hands (prior to my videotaping). Initially it would not turn on, so I took batteries out and made it work, but the camera is not functioning well anymore. Therefore my apologies for a bad recording.