Search This Blog and The Web

Crocheted Scarf for Spring to Fall

Recently I got a really nice message from my friend. She was surprised about my knitting/crocheting endeavors and complimented me on my achievements. She asked me if I could "teach" her to crochet a scarf. I told her I will make a video for her that she may be able to follow. I had couple of questions for her - how thick, and how wide her scarf should be? She wanted to crochet a summer scarf that would be between 30-40 cm (12-15 inches) wide.

I picked an easy stitch pattern - besides the first two rows and the last row, she has to repeat really just one row over and over and over again.....

I was not sure how wide my scarf will end up tough - because it has a slightly "wavy" shape - in other words it "shrinks" in width.

Well here is the info you may need to know should you want to make this scarf too.

Work with multiple of 10 stitches, plus 2.

If you want to crochet along my video - CLICK HERE. Otherwise see a written pattern below.

Material I used:
2 balls of cotton yarn - fine #2 thickness, 317 yards/290 m (I used Premiere Yarns, Cotton Fair)
Hook - size G, 4.25mm
Scissors

Width:
With 70 stitches I achieved 11".
If you want to make scarf wider - add more multiple of 10 sts. (ie. 90+2 sts, or 110+2 sts, etc.) - but then buy also 3+ balls of this yarn

Abreviations:
ch - chain
sc - single crochet
dc - double crochet
st(s) - stitch(es)
prev. - previous

Step-by-Step:

Start with ch72 

Row 1          skip first two sts and crochet 1 sc into each ch st (total 70 sc sts), turn
Row 2          ch3, *[1 dc into each of next 5 sts, skip 4 sts, 1 dc into 5th st, ch4]* - repeat from * to * until the end of row, finish with 1 dc into initial ch3
Row 3-?          ch3, *[5 dc into ch4 from prev. row, skip 4 dc sts, make1 dc into 5th dc, ch4]* - repeat from * to * until the end of row, finish with 1 dc into initial ch3

Repeat Row 3 as many times as you want/need.

Last Row - make a 4 sc along ch4 sts, then 6 sc into each dc from prev. row

Weave in both ends. If desired tie on tassels made from same yarn.

Enjoy.