Search This Blog and The Web

Knitted Griffindor Hat For Teens

Griffindor Hat for teens
I teach knitting and crocheting at one of the Bridgeport Public Library's branch. Anyone can come to our class and if they are stuck with their project, I will help them to solve their problem. In-between helping knitters and crocheters with their projects I occasionally teach beginners to knit.

The other day someone was cleaning their closets, and the nice person brought a bag of yarn to our library. Yippie!

I talked to Michele, the head of our branch, about the use of the yarn. She had a grand idea - to knit or crochet items that the librarians can give as prizes to kids for their summer reading. And knit something for our senior citizens too, while we are at it. I liked the idea so much that I presented it to my ladies who come to knit or crochet on Thursdays. A couple of my wonderful, talented young ladies decided to make some toys for five-to-eight-year-olds. Then we decided that we will make some lap blankets for our senior citizens with rest of the yarn.

In the bag, we also found a maroon, and yellow colored yarns - ideal for a "Griffindor" hats. As you see in the images below, there is plenty of yarn for two hats. So today, I decided to write a simple pattern for anyone that would like to knit this hat. Enjoy.





Gauge:
2" x 2" = 8 sts x 11 rows (stockinette)

Size:
Circumference - 18"
Height - 8"

Materials:

  • Yarn - 1 big ball of yarn in Aran weight #4 (unknown company/kind - use your preferred yarn); Main Color - Maroon; 
  • Several yards of yarn in Aran weight #4 (unknown company/kind - use your preferred yarn); Complimentary Color - Orangy Yellow
  • Long Knitting Needles - size #8 (5 mm)
  • Double Pointed needles OR Circular Needles - size #8 (5 mm)
  • Hook 5mm
  • Yarn Needle for weaving in the ends (optional, you could use your hook instead)

Abbreviations:
CO - cast on
K - knit
P - purl
m1 - increase by making one extra stitch
DPN - double pointed needles
MC - main color yarn (maroon)
CC - complimentary color (yellow)
k2tog - decrease by knitting two stitches together
BO - bind off

Step-by-Step:

CO 66 sts on long knitting needles (or circular needles) - start knitting with "Main Color".

Row 1                    (MC) *[K1, P1]* - repeat from * to *, move stitches onto 3 DPNs (22 sts on each DPN, or keep them on circular needles), do not twist the knit while you are connecting it into a circle and start knitting in the round
Rnd 2-10                (MC) *[K1, P1]* - repeat from * to *
Rnd 11                    (MC) *[K10, m1, K1]* - 6x (Note: you increased by 6 sts total; total 72 sts)
Rnd 12-20              (MC) K72
Rnd 21-22              (CC) K72
Rnd 23-25              (MC) K72
Rnd 26-27              (CC) K72  
Rnd 28-39              (MC) K72
Rnd 40                   (MC) *[K4, k2tog]* - 12x (total 60 sts)
Rnd 41-42              (MC) K60
Rnd 43                   (MC) *[K3, k2tog]* - 12x (total 48 sts)
Rnd 44                   (MC) K48
Rnd 45                   (MC) *[K2, k2tog]* - 12x (total 36 sts)
Rnd 46                   (MC) K36
Rnd 47                   (MC) *[K1, k2tog]* - 12x (total 24 sts)
Rnd 48                   (MC) K24
Rnd 49                   (MC) *[k2tog]* - 12x (total 12 sts)
Rnd 50                   (MC) BO by pulling yarn through all the remaining stitches with use of a hook -                                    make a 5" long loop and leave also a 5" long tail (see image below) - you will use                                the loop and tail to attach your yellow pom-pom
5" long loop with 5" long tail

Finishing:
Wrap your yellow yarn many times around your pom-pom maker (or around a cardboard, or your hand), wrap the 5" long loop around the middle of the pom-pom maker (or around the yarn that you slide off your cardboard, or your hand) and tie it with the other tail really tightly (at the base of the hat top) a couple of times. Pull both ends inside the hat. Cut all the pom-pom loops to make a pom-pom shape. If there are any longer ends, cut them to create a nice "ball shape". Lastly, weave in all the ends.

***

DID YOU FIND ERRORS? Let me know on what page of my blog, and in which row by clicking HERE, and I will fix it as soon as I get to it. You can PM me on my FB Page HERE as well. Txs!
Also if you haven't subscribed to my HandmadeRukodelky Channel, you can do it HERE. There are many videos to be seen, too.

*******************************************************************************


Copyright page - click HERE



PLEASE, COMMENT ON YOUTUBE BELOW MY VIDEOS, AND/OR SHARE YOUR IMAGES OF YOUR RECREATED WORKS ON MY FB PAGE HERE :-)




Note: Most of the time I work as fast as I can to keep up with knitting and crocheting requests. I have to videotape, edit videos, then convert them & upload them to my channel. After that often I post on my blog patterns. I answer many questions, which means that often I work up to 16 hours a day. I would tremendously appreciate IF anyone of you who finds an error in the written pattern, so please, let me know - where (what rows) and what may be the problem. Many future knitters & crocheters from our artsy and crafty virtual world will thank you for your good deed, including myself.