Search This Blog and The Web

A Very Simple Hat For Beginners

I decided to make several scarfs and hats for economically deprived people, which I will donate to a local organization in my area right before winter holidays.

On the left is my new hat which goes pattern-wise with my Very Simple Scarf For Beginners.

Bellow is a free pattern, but if you would prefer having this pattern in .pdf file (with several images) then you can visit my page on Ravelry for an easy download.



Material:
  • yarn – any worsted (medium) – I used Red Heart for this project, but it would look nicer if knitted with a wool. I am not sure how much yarn I used as I was working from a big skein, but you may need more then 50g
  • #5 circular needles (or 5 double pointed needles)
  • hook #E
  • scissors

Abbreviations:

  • CO – cast on 
  • st(s) – stitche(s) 
  • K – knit 
  • P – purl 
  • K2tog – knit 2 stitches together 
  • P2tog – purl 2 stitches together 
  • BO – bind off 


Size: 

  • diameter – 21 in (79 sts) 
  • height – 8 in (66 rows) 


Step-by-step instructions:

Row 1               CO 79 sts
Row 2              *[K, P] entire row – connect into a circle
Row 3 – 60      *[P, K] continually for 60 rows
Row 61 – 65    *[K2tog, P2tog] continually for 5 rows

In the 66th row (when you have about 6 or 7 stitches) pull one stitch through all the remaining stitches with the hook to BO. Then continue crocheting chain of 30 stitches. Cut up 5 ½ - 6 in long strings of yarn for the tassel (your choice – I cut up 30 pieces, but 20 pieces would be sufficient too), fold them in half while tying all the pieces to the crocheted string, and making a tassel. Clean up all the loose ends and even out all the pieces on the tassel with scissors.

The pattern for a similar scarf (above) can be found on THIS page of my HandMade-Rukodelky blog.