Search This Blog and The Web

Knitted Vest - Size S/M


Making a vest doesn't have to be hard. It can be done in a simple way and it can be a quick project too. All you have to do is buy a very thick yarn - that way you can cast on fewer stitches and you will knit fewer rows - a quite fast project, don't you think so? Also a very good project for people who just recently started to knit and know how to cast on, knit 2 stitches together, slip stitches, bind off and know what i-cord is.

If you will work on this project get a yarn that has an interesting color or texture. And then all you have to do is knit it with a knit stitch only (garter stitch).

If you have a yarn with a nice color or texture you do not need a fancy design. The color or texture will give your vest an interesting look. After you sew pieces together add a nice edge. You will get a lot of compliments on your stylish outfit. I sure do wherever I go. People ask me: "Did you make that great looking vest?"

Below is a FREE pattern for you OR you can watch my playlist on how to knit this vest - it has 5 videos.

If you are a RIGHT-handed knitter CLICK ON THIS LINK
If you are a LEFT-handed knitter CLICK ON THIS LINK

Material:
Very bulky yarn #6 - 4-5 skeins for the vest, 1/2-1 skein for the edging (such as Lion Brand, Wool-Ease Thick & Quick)
Knitting needles #15, 10mm
Scissors

Gouge (garter stitch):
4"x4" = 8 sts x 16 rows

Abbreviations:
CO - cast on
K - knit
k2tog - knit two stitches together
ssk - slip slip & then knit two stitches together through the back loop
sts - stitches
BO - bind off




Step-by-Step Directions:

Back Part

Foundation: cast on 40 stitches.

Row 1-50          K40
Row 51              BO 2 sts; K
Row 52              BO 2 sts; K
Row 53-90         K36
Row 91               BO 6 sts, K29
Row 92               BO 6 sts, K11

Make two front parts - Front A & Front B

Front A Part

Foundation: cast on 20 stitches.

Row 1-50           K20
Row 51              BO 2 sts; K14 (or until last 3 sts), ssk, K1,
Row 52-56         K17
Row 57              K14, ssk, K1
Row 58-62         K16
Row 63              K13, ssk, K1
Row 64-68         K15
Row 69              K12, ssk, K1
Row 70-74         K14
Row 75              K11, ssk, K1
Row 76-80         K13
Row 81              K10, ssk, K1
Row 82-90         K12

Shape the shoulder area

Row 91                BO 6 sts, K5
Row 92                K6
Row 93                BO 6 sts

Front B Part

Foundation: cast on 20 stitches.

Row 1-50           K20
Row 51              K1, k2tog, K17
Row 52              BO 2 sts, K16
Row 53-56         K17
Row 57               K1, k2tog, K14
Row 58-62          K16
Row 63               K1, k2tog, K13
Row 64-68          K15
Row 69               K1, k2tog, K12
Row 70-74          K14
Row 75               K1, k2tog, K11
Row 76-80          K13
Row 81               K1, k2tog, K10
Row 82-91          K12

Shape the shoulder area

Row 92                BO 6 sts, K5
Row 93                K6
Row 94                BO 6 sts

Knit an i-cord around the entire edge and around the arm holes. See my video if you do not know how to do that.


******************************************

See my many videos on my YouTube Channel HERE (you can load more videos at the bottom of my channel page)

Knits you may enjoy checking out:


Cerulean Hat
Poncho
Knitted Long Basic Mittens (adult)
Basic Knitted Fingerless Gloves (adult)
Knitted Striped Fingerless Gloves (adult)
Charcoal Hat With Rolled Up Edge (youth/adult)
Spring To Fall Lacy Hat (youth/adult)


*********************************************************

Copyright page - click HERE

PLEASE, COMMENT ON YOUTUBE BELOW MY VIDEOS, AND/OR SHARE YOUR IMAGES OF YOUR RECREATED WORKS ON MY FB PAGE HERE :-)

Note: Most of the time I work as fast as I can to keep up with knitting and crocheting requests. I have to videotape, edit videos, then convert them & upload them to my channel. After that often I post on my blog patterns. I answer many questions, which means that often I work up to 16 hours a day. I would tremendously appreciate IF anyone of you who finds an error in the written pattern, to please, let me know - where (what rows) and what may be the problem. Many future knitters & crocheters from our artsy and crafty virtual world will thank you for your good deed, including myself.

Let me know by clicking HERE, and I will fix it as soon as I get to it. You can PM me on my FB Page HERE as well. Txs!
Also if you haven't subscribed to my HandmadeRukodelky Channel, you can do it HERE.